The varna consists of four categories, each ranked differently in terms of social honour. Below these groupings are the so-called ‘untouchables’- those in the lowest position of all. The Jati are locally defined groups within which the caste ranks are organised. Jati is coupled with one’s occupation and the meaning of varna in Sanskrit is ‘colour’ that signify a social category or a social classification. It is used to enforce a social stratification but does not mean colour of skin.
According to those who practice and promote it, Caste is determined by birth and cannot be changed. In a class based system there is 'vertical mobility' but this is denied in a Caste based system. In India, Social Stratification, historically, gave rise to 'Untouchables'. Although, practice of Untouchability is legally prohibited in India but 'Untouchables' continue to be shunned socially and economically. Each Caste continues in a state of social paralysis antagonistic and hostile towards each other's interests.
Statement of policy
1. In the interest of clarity, we wish to state that CasteWatchUK is an independent and secular organisation not affiliated to any religious or political group whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere.
2. CasteWatchUK campaigns against Caste Based Discrimination (CBD) and not against any religion or religious group. We understand CBD to be historical and cultural phenomenon that inflicts many communities worldwide but significantly inflicts those of the Indian Sub-continent - where numbers affected finds no parallel.
3. Our membership is drawn from wide range of different religions/non-religious backgrounds.
4. To avoid offending any faith, discussion on religion is barred from our deliberations.
5. CasteWatchUK does not persuade, entice, proselytise or seek to convert anyone to any faith or to cause affiliation to any faith.
6. CasteWatchUK works with faith based and non-faith based organisations that are keen to join our campaign to make Caste Discrimination Unlawful.
7. CasteWatcUK's main focus of work is within the UK.